Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanks & giving

Thanksgiving

I worked Thanksgiving day. A homeless man came in and asked for a manager. When a manager came over, the man loudly proclaimed, "I'm homeless, and I want you to give me something for free."

Now let me put this in perspective for you. First, this was Thanksgiving day. If there is ever a day on which a homeless man can find a free meal, it's Thanksgiving. School's, churches, companies, and individuals have been collecting and donating food and money all month long so that poor and homeless people can enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner. Second, I work at Central Market. A great company to work for, very generous and community oriented. But it's a place of business, not a charity. Again, Central Market, not your average grocery store. We sell organic, imported, and specialty foods. You can't even buy a plain old can of coke, but we have bottled Coke's from Mexico for $1.50 each. In all of Dallas, this man could not find a charity giving out free thanksgiving meals, so he resorts to coming to the fancy part of town, the regular grocery store accross the street is not good enough so he goes to the fancy grocery store. Third, this guy demanded something free. He wasn't asking. It was as if he felt that Central Market owed him some food.

A customer overheard the demand. She gathered a bag of her very own groceries and handed them to the man. "Here you go," She proclaimed, "Happy Thanksgiving and GOD... BLESS... YOU."

Hey, Left Hand, look at Right Hand.

Giving

And we're on the downhill race to the next big day. (fyi: I don't celebrate Christmas.) I think generosity is what is meant by "the spirit of christmas." Why do people have to give people presents that they don't even want just because it's the time that they're supposed to give presents? Sometimes in December there aren't a bunch of things I want. Sometimes in May there is something I want. Why don't you give me a present in May? I would rather give someone something they want to get than give something I want to give. I've gotten so many presents that the giver wanted to give and I have to say thanks for something I would actually rather not have. And I realize that it truly is better to give than to recieve. Do I give God what He wants to recieve or what I want to give?

Thanks

You might pray before you eat. Jews generally say a blessing before and after they eat. It says in Deuteronomy 8:10, When you have eaten and are satisfied you shall bless the Lord. Food is not blessed. They don't pray that they survive the meal, or that the food would do it's job and nourish their bodies (sometimes that dang food doesn't realize it needs to do some nourishing). They bless the Lord for having created and provided the food.

This rich guy threw a big party. He invited a bunch of people to his mansion. There was all kinds of food and entertainment. The guests arrived and couldn't stop thanking their host for inviting them to such an amazing party. As it got late into the night, the host announced that each guest had a room prepared and the party would continue the next day. This went on for weeks and months. The guests ate and played and just partied. Then one day the rich host announced that they all had to leave. The party was over. As the guests left they all complained about the host. Who does he think he is kicking us all out? I was just starting to have fun. He could have let us stay one more day.

Thank God for what he gave back then. Thank God for what he's been doing.

No comments: