Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Andy & Crash

The wheelchair guy came into work the other day. He actually called himself the wheelchair guy. When I asked him his name, he said it is Andy. He dropped off one load of groceries, then he went and got a few more things and came back. Alice helped at the very beginning, but then she left me to help him by myself. I think she's starting to trust me. I am getting better at my job. Andy is really a kind and funny guy. He asked me about school and life. He was the best customer I've had in a while. I hung his bags on the handles of his chair. I got to slide the pen between his stubby fingers so that he could sign the receipt for his credit card. I look forward to seeing him again.

Last night I saw "Crash." Sandra Bullock has a small role in it. She plays a snobby rich person (kind of like a lot of the women who shop at Central Market). I went by myself. It was the first rated R movie I've seen in a long time. And it was definitely rated R. I enjoyed the movie though. It was what I expected. It's a movie about racism. I saw it at a theater that is usually full of black people, but I think that all five of us watching Crash were white. A day in L.A. There's no big plot. It's a bunch of small intersecting stories. We follow people of various skin tones and nations of origin as they interact with people of different races. There's no good guy or bad guy. Everyone's a little good and a little bad. Prejudices are justified and ripped down. Before I saw the movie I expected it to be (for those of you from SAGU) a "Paul Alexander movie" and I still think it is. And it's such an intense movie. I'm still shaking. Seeing "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" tonight will be a welcome change of pace.

No comments: