Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Uno

Rosa Parks died the night before last. I think that what makes her so great in our minds is that she proves that one person can make a difference. One small person's seemingly small act can have great and lasting effects. I think she is great in our hearts because of her unique combination of gentleness and boldness.

Causing change, righting wrongs, speaking against injustice and making the world a better place does not have to be left up to politicians and preachers. Each individual can change the world in which she finds herself. If you want to be free, then be free. If you want to be loved, love. If you want the hurting to be helped, help the hurting.

Bono's face is on the cover of Rolling Stone. Even if you've never heard a U2 song, you might have heard of how this guy with sunglasses and stringy hair is trying to rid Africa of AIDS. He preaches to preachers about real love.

I used to go to Deep Ellum on Friday nights. A group of us trying to save Dallas one soul at a time. We formed an interesting relationship with the homeless people as a whole. In many ways we were similar. Out there with an agenda, if only we could get people to stop and listen to our story. But they wanted to get something from the people. We wanted to give something to the people. So we gave to them, they got from us. Sort of a codependant relationship. They got food, clothing, occasionaly money, and to be treated with a bit of dignity. We got to feel like we were helping out, we were appreciated, we got to pray with them. Many of us had our eyes opened to some the real world that is out there.

When that group becomes individuals what do we do? Are we still looking to give? Do I believe that I can make a difference? Do I have to wait for a leader to step up and show me where to go? Do I really love people?

I complain in my mind about the dumb customers at work. But when Messiah spoke about the least of these did he mean everybody? If I think evil about a person am I thinking evil about their creator? Find the Imago Dei in each person. There's always something to love.

Love for self flows into love for people like you into love for people other than you into love for those against you into love for those you are against into love for people you don't know into love for the God you can't see.

No comments: