Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Christmas

"So, what are you getting your fiancee for Christmas?" they ask.
I reply, "Nothing."

I handed the woman her bag of groceries, and she said to me, "Merry Christmas."
I smile and nod. Usually the hundreds of customers a day that have been telling me "Merry Christmas" walk away right after saying it. Sometimes they stare at me with a big goofy smile, waiting for my reply. So I am forced to say, "Thanks" or maybe even, "And you too", sometimes I just respond, "Have a nice day."
Well this woman repeated a little bit louder, "Merry Christmas."
So I spewed out, "Thanks."
I guess she didn't like my reply, because she went on to say, "Happy Holidays. Is that better?"
I continue wearing my great big smile and say, "Actually I don't celebrate any holidays in December."
"Oh, well whenever you do celebrate a holiday, I hope you enjoy yourself."
Big smile and slight laugh, "Thank you." I appreciate what the woman was trying to do. I know she was just trying to be nice. I wasn't offended and I was trying not to offend her.

Later another woman handed me a card to scan so that a school would get some money. The school was Beth Torah Preschool, so I assumed she is Jewish. I asked her, "Do you celebrate Christmas?"
She waited a few seconds and looked a little bit scared. I understand the feeling, but I'll get to that later. She answered, "No."
"What do you say when people tell you Merry Christmas?"
"Well... I say thank you." Her voice went up at the end like she was asking a question. "Or I say, Same to you."
I told her about my encounter with the persistant Merry Christmaser.
When her order was finished she told me Happy Chanukkah.

I don't have a problem with Chanukkah. I just don't celebrate it. However I do have a problem with Christmas. Why? I'm sure some of you already know, but do a little study on the origins of Christmas and it's symbols and traditions, etc. it's pretty much pagan. You may not have known this. But there are a lot of Christians who do, yet they make excuses because they like the idea of Christmas.

"It's good to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and even though He wasn't born on December 25, that's as good a day as any to celebrate it."
Well actually, celebrating Jesus' isn't really that great. There is no mention of anyone doing it until that emporer wanted a Christian version of his sun god's birthday or something like that.
And even if it were important to celebrate Jesus' birthday, there's a much better time to do it than Dec 25. Jesus was most likely born in the fall. We know this because of the time John the Babtist's dad would have been serving in the temple, and also because of when the shepherds would or would not have been out in the fields. If Jesus, who compared himself to the Temple, who was and is God's presence dwelling among us, who is the manna from heaven, was born during autumn in a place where they keep animals; then what better time to celebrate his birth than the biblical festival in autumn that celebrates God's provision for Israel in the wilderness, the festival on which Solomon's Temple was dedicated, the festival which celebrate's God dwelling among his people, its name even means dwelling, its name also means a place where they keep animals, Sukkot, a.k.a. Feast of Tabernacles.

Yet many people feel they have to keep defending Chrismas. Pop Christianity has gotten over the whole X-mas thing. Now the big deal is "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays." But why not include the Jews and African Americans? Does all of America have to say "Christ" at least once a year in order for Christianity to feel safe and secure? But look, even non-Christians are celebrating "Christmas." Christmas is a cultural holiday. Christians and non-Christians generally celebrate Christmas in exactly the same way. The only difference is Christians might read Luke 2, and have little idols of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus.

Another excuse used in defending Christmas (and Easter) is that it's a great time to witness about Jesus.

If you want to feel like an alien and a stranger on the earth, if you want to feel like a peculiar person, if you want to feel alientated, try NOT celebrating Christmas, try NOT saying "Merry Christmas."

I'm good at avoiding confrontation in person. But if you're the type of person who likes the face to face stuff, being a non-Christmasite in a country full of Christmasing sinners provides plenty of witnessing opportunity.

Or you could just be a good Americhristian and put down your Bible and pick up the Constitution and fight for your right to be just like everybody else.

No comments: