Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Cover a Multitude

I keep being reminded that I need to tell people not to sin, and that when I see people sinning, I should tell them to stop. But it's kinda uncomfortable when some of the things I believe are sins other people don't think are sins. It's tough enough when we both agree that what they're doing is wrong. But then when it will lead to a debate about scripture and whether this is right or wrong and why have they never even heard this before. So I've pretty much kept my mouth shut, except for on my blogs and when people ask me about what I believe. Still I'm torn, because I know there's a better way. But I'm not doing everything right. I feel like I have to stop sinning completely before I can tell anyone else what is right or wrong. So I wait for them to open the door. When they realize that I believe a bit differently they ask questions at the beginning. But then they stop. It's like they want to know sorta what I believe, but not why. I prefer the debating to the apathy; not because I have a desire to argue, but because it shows that they care; and the Bible as our standard for faith and practice is something we should care about.

John the Baptist got the whole scoop on what I believe a couple weeks ago at work. He drilled me in between customers. And we even moved on to the debate portion. But he hasn't talked about it since. He just resumed quizzing me about the Bible as he had before, i.e. what's John 17 about? He did quite a few yesterday. He would just say a chapter, and I would tell him the subject. He did it, in his words, "to see if he knows what he thinks he knows." He is impressed that I know the Bible pretty well, because so many people don't. He said he's gonna start quizzing me on the Old Testament now. He says he knows it better than the New. We'll see what happens.

No comments: