Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Monday Morning

Morning feels like a long time ago.

I have two days left at my practicum site. This morning was my last Monday group. I'm really gonna miss all those guys. I've gotten to know the counselors and clients. And I've learned a lot from both.

I wonder what's going to happen to some of the clients. I've gotten to see them while they're clean, so I see what great individuals they are. But any of them could slip back into being whatever they were before. I want them all to be overcomers.

I wonder what's going to happen with the guy who's there for DUI and says he's not an alcoholic, just unlucky. He seems to have decided at last that group doesn't have to be torture. He doesn't think he needs help, but he's started trying to help other people in the group. He's a smart guy and he shares what he's learned.

Denial is a strange thing. It blinds a person. You think that everything is fine. You don't have a problem. You really and truly think that you are doing fantastic. It would be too difficult to admit that you have made some bad choices. You can't see that the truth is right there in front of you. You unconsciously lie to yourself to protect yourself. You think that the people living right are the ones with the problem. Why do people keep telling you that you have a problem? Can't they see that you're just fine? This is who you are. You've been doing this for a long time and it's worked just fine so far. The ones telling you to change are just too strict and narrow minded. You have to either admit that you're wrong or deny until it's too late.

No comments: