Sunday, April 03, 2005

Maturing

Now listening to: Roper


I remember my freshman year, at church there was a song that said something like, "If there was only one word to describe you it would be Holy." And I just couldn't sing that song. All my life, I've firmly believed that Love is the greatest thing ever. God's love is the greastest thing about him. My quest to love God and love others led to the paradigm shift where I started to believe that we should obey even the commandments in the Old Testament. After a while, inside me the ideas of holiness and obedience stopped being results of love but became the main things themselves. Lately I have gotten back to the idea that love is key. I think it was last week's omer reading that reminded me of that process that I went through and re-emphasized the importance of Love.

I also remember how the first two years of college I thought I knew everything. I could explain everything from how God thinks to how everyone ought to behave. I looked down on Christians whose theology wasn't as logical as mine and whose devotion to prayer and witnessing was not as great as mine. But since I've started trying to love God by obeying all of his commands, I've realized how sinful I am and how little I know. Some commandments are just tough to wrap your mind around. And sometimes I feel like compromizing rather than obeying. Within obedience to the commandments of God, whether Jewish or Messianic, there is a great variance of observance. Some people are more strict than others. Some have noticed commands that others never knew were there. As a result I've learned a lot more tolerance for Christians who aren't as holy as me (j/k). I have become more accepting of people in their weaknesses because I now see more of mine. The Torah really is every great thing that the New Testament says it is.

Last night I had my 90 day evaluation when I got to work. I found out that I need to take initiative and be more friendly. So last night I absolutely forced myself to be outgoing. It was a rush. I was so happy all night. Being friendly makes me happy.

The Pope died yesterday. The new Pope will be elected later this month.

1 comment:

Joshua and/or Joy said...

Don't know why I didn't see this comment until tonight. I checked this afternoon. And Blogger didn't email me your comment. Don't know what's up with that. I guess it's too late now, but I'll tell her tomorrow anyway.