Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Freedom

For when you were slaves to sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. . . . But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, Romans 6:20,22

The Israelites are about to leave Egypt and God starts giving them rules. Cook the lamb this way, eat it this way, don't eat bread with yeast in it for 7 days, I want your firstborn. . .

You've heard, "Pharaoh, Pharaoh, let my people go." But it's actually, "Thus says the LORD, 'Let my people go, that they may serve me.'"

So freedom isn't free. Either you're a slave to God, or a slave to not-God. And not-God aint a kind master.

But later the Israelites would complain and even want to go back to Egypt. In the same way, we often long to go back to our disgusting sin. We tend to prefer what is familiar to us over what is good for us.

LORD, may I be satisfied with manna and hope as I travel outside the comfort zone.

No comments: