Sunday, January 16, 2005

Part 3 of 4: The New Covenant

The New Covenant aint just a New Testament thing. The New Testament guys got the idea from Jeremiah. Let’s take a look.

Jeremiah 31:31-34
“Behold, days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant...”

“What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.” Galatians 3:17. The Noaic Covenant was not abolished by the Abrahamic Covenant, which was not abolished by the Mosaic Covenant, which is not abolished by the New Covenant.

“...with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,...”

Are you an Israelite or are you a Jew? If those “Israelite Laws” don’t apply to you, why in the world do you think the New Covenant applies to you?

“...not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them, declares the LORD. . .”

The New Covenant is not the Mosaic Covenant. Makes sense.

“...But this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD, I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. . .”

His law? Could that be the same law as the law in the Mosaic Covenant? You can have the same law and different covenants.

“...They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, “Know the LORD,” for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, declares the LORD, for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Whoa. What’s this? No more teaching? Are we in the New Covenant or not? Does everyone know the LORD? But what about the cup at Passover? Jesus said something about the New Covenant. Do some studying. Did he drink it, did he pour it out, did the disciples drink it, did Jesus say he wouldn’t drink it until he drank it anew in the Kingdom?

Maybe the New Covenant is one of those “now but not yet” things. It’s been started a little bit, but it’s not totally here. There’s a lot of stuff that still has to happen before everything is completed.

Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: