Friday, March 04, 2005

And he gathered

I recently heard someone’s definitions of religion and spirituality. I’m not quoting him exactly, but. Religion or going to church is not what you do to experience or worship God. It is a gathering of individuals who have similar spirituality. Spirituality is a person’s daily private encounters with God. Spirituality is private prayer, a life of worship and an ongoing inner communion with God. Religion is where these individuals get together and symbolically express their spirituality. For example, worship songs are symbols of love for and recognition of God (words are symbols), baptism and communion are symbols. These, along with sermons and testimonies (words are symbols), are expressions of what the person has already experienced personally (spirituality).

Moses gathered together the congregation, then he re-commanded sabbath yet again. Then he commanded whoever had a willing heart to bring gifts for work on the tabernacle. They brought more than enough. As I was reading Exodus 35, I was reminded of what Paul wrote to the Corinthians concerning their giving. When we decide to give/do something for someone else, we ought to carry it out. I like to give when it’s of my own initiative, I don’t like being forced or coerced into giving. I think that most people are the same way.

Spirituality is very important. Without it, religion would be worthless. But religion is also very important. A building is non-existent without the individual stones that make it up.

Today I met someone on campus who believes similar to me. Viva community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not disagreeing with you, but just something to think about:

James 1:27"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."