Tuesday, March 08, 2005

thrice

Tame the Tongue
Today I heard evil tongue. Jesus and James talked about our words. The rabbis also talk about the power of speech.

Saying something negative about someone else is called lashan hara. This is not just lying about someone. It is even saying something true but negative. Lashan hara kills three people. The speaker, the listener and the one being spoken about. If the speaker or the listener is the one being spoken about it is still dangerous. (I know of four people who have definitely been hurt by the words of this one person.)

Now there are some cases where it is necessary to say something negative about someone. For instance, if someone poses a threat, the person in danger needs to be warned. But then there is no need to go telling people who have no involvement in the matter.

Words are powerful. God created the world with words. Humans also have the ability to create with words. Once a word is spoken, it is filled with power that can bring life and death.

Before you say something harmful about someone else, stop and think about whether or not you need to say it. You probably don’t. We might not have much to talk about if we’re not bashing other people, maybe we should work on that.

Coincidence?
Today I left my backpack in the cafeteria. I got to my room and realized I had to go back and get it. Outside the cafeteria I saw Robert, the other guy on campus who believes somewhat like me. We talked for a few minutes. I now know where he lives, but I don’t have his number. I’m sure I’ll bump into him again.

Wish You Were Here
I’m so stinkin busy. On the days when I’m not busy I feel stressed because I keep thinking that there should be somewhere I need to go within the hour. Every once in a while, when I’m not focusing on what I’m doing right now and what I’m going to be doing next, I think about people that I know. But I don’t get to do this very often. I want to keep in contact with the people that I know and care about. I wonder if she’s still on the other part of the world, and where in America she is, and what he’s doing, and what he’s pondering now. I gotta make time for emailing and phone calling.

No comments: